UC Names



Decoto Road, located on the east side of Union City, is named after Ezra Decoto, originally spelled “de Coteau”.  Decoto came from Canada to Alameda in the year 1850.  When he came to Alameda, he bought 334 acres of land.


Dyer Street, located at the heart of Union City, is named after Ebenezer Herrick (E.H.) Dyer.  Dyer came to Alvarado in 1858, before Alvarado and Union City were combined into one city.  He was elected the county surveyor in 1859, and then elected US Deputy Surveyor from 1861-71.  In 18979, Dyer opened the Alvarado Sugar Beet Factory, later called the Standard Sugar Manufacturing Company.


Granger Street, located in the west of Union City, is named after Farley B. Granger.  Granger moved to Alvarado in 1861, where he bought land for farming.  Farley B. Granger built the Riverside Hotel and sold some of his land to the Dyers for their sugar beet company.


Horner Street, located on the west side of Union City, is named after one of the most important people to reside in Union City.  Horner Street is named after John Horner, an early settler of Union City.  In 1851, Horner built a landing of warehouses along the banks of Alameda Creek, which outlined the city of Union City.  He also built a steam-powered flourmill among these warehouses.  In order for his business to be successful, he incorporated the use of a ship to bring goods to and from San Francisco.  The name of this ship was the Union, which is what John Horner named Union City after.


Smith Street, located in the west of Union City, is named after Henry C. Smith, an early landowner of part of Union City.  His sister, Sarah Ann Smith, married the first town sheriff.  Henry Smith founded a nearby town to Union City called New Haven, later to be named Alvarado.  The two towns combined on January 26, 1959 to be called Union City.


Whipple Road, located in the south of Union City, is named after the Whipple family, early settlers of Union City. The Whipple family owned an extravagant home on land that they also owned that was along the course of Whipple road today.  J.C. Whipple built the house in 1852.


What’s in a name?

by Danielle Nuezca

Source: Images of America: Union City by Timonthy Swenson

Photo by Bill Quach